Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Welcome to my pork tails....

I grew up on a small farm outside of Lyndon Kansas.  We raised cows, pigs and chickens that we butchered for food. We had laying hens and a very large garden in which my mother taught us how to preserve for winter. Basically, we were self-sufficient except for the raw milk we bought in big glass jars from the dairy down the road.  I belonged to the Lyndon Leaders 4-H club. And was awarded the Lyndon High School Betty Crocker Homemaker of the Year in 1974 .  As I was growing up, I wondered why we bothered with such effort when we could go to the store to buy food. But living off the land was a way of life... it is what we did.

I pursued my destiny by majoring in Home Economics at Kansas State University for three semesters. And then I made an about turn in my life.  I went to Kansas University, majored in accounting and business and have worked in State Tax Administration 30 years. Food became a hobby and a reason to get  family and friends together.

However, my hobby has grown to an obsession. I recognized my passion for all things food. I studied the work of the best chefs. I collected the best cookbooks. I remodeled my kitchen to accommodate my thermo-circulator bath.  I stocked up on molecular gastronomy chemicals and gadgets. I planted a small vegetable garden in the front yard of my Fairfax VA home. I have successfully prepared a number of different dishes from El Bulli, Alinea, French Laundry, Under Pressure, On the Line, Craft of Cooking, Momofuku and yes, Charcuterie.  (NOMA is next, as soon as I can purchase some hay.) I gave my daughter and her boyfriend cooking lessons taught by ME for Christmas. Did I go wrong leaving K-State in 1975?

I think the signals are clear... it is time to return to my roots and do what? Hopefully, this blog will help me figure that out.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, that pig photo totally grosses me out. If I must eat meat, it absolutely cannot resemble the animal from whence it came. However, I am most impressed with your cooking endeavors.

    ReplyDelete